Skip to main content

The Next Crop of God's Gardeners



Do you remember that everything looks bigger as a child?   My grandfather’s house was on the top of a large hill.  It had a garden when I was growing up; it seemed HUGE to me. He had pear and apple trees.  He grew corn, green beans, lima beans, tomatoes (of course), black eyed peas, and potatoes among other things.  

Even though my grandfather was blind, he had been gardening for so long that he knew the plants by touch and how to sow by heart.  My grandfather grew food for his household, our family of 5, the neighbors, and plenty for the freezer.  Gardeners know it’s important to grow a “cover crop,” too.  These crops, like clover and soy beans, replenish the soil with vitamins so that vegetables will grow healthy and strong.  I do not remember my Grandfather growing a “cover crop,” but since he rotated his plants, he may have accomplished the same thing.  Nurturing and replenishing soil, planting seeds and on and on it goes.  Second Presbyterian Children’s Sunday School is like a precious garden. Let me explain!

On the second floor at Second Church, we are like gardeners tending a cover crop.  We nurture our youngest disciples enriching the soil of faith.  We begin by cultivating a lifetime of knowing that God made each one and that they are beloved children of God.  We focus on relationships with God, hearing good news, and being part of the whole family of God.

·         We begin by planting a Nursery Garden with seeds of love, welcome, and safety.  Babies are welcomed by loving arms and are whispered words of comfort and God’s love.
·         Our Toddlers and Twos Garden has plenty of playtime, a snack, and seedlings of a Bible Stories.
·         Threes, Fours, and Fives classes are merry patches of stories, play, wondering, and music. Truly, they are often “self-seeding,” but the garden is a lovely mixture of small voices and high excitement.

The third floor, Elementary Orchard, has a rotating crop of Stories and Bible Study in which responses such as art, drama, green-screen, games, mission, and Our Maker’s Space flourish. Worship planning, mid-week “church-club” aka “Kids Club,” and children’s choir have a bit more structure, but are still Spirit fed! There may be some “climbing” but they are all grounded in who and whose they are.

Sunday School raises up the next crop of God’s gardeners who will welcome, tend, sow, and play! When you bring your child, or your child brings you, to church—you are giving them the soil, the water, the tools, and the sunlight that they need for the years ahead.  My grandfather’s garden on top of the hill has been replaced by a BIG HOUSE, but when I think about gardening I still think of him and his faith.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directional-ly Impaired

Holy Promise People, Lent 2017, Second Presbyterian Church  My family and friends know that I am a little bit directional-ly impaired.  I’m  fine as long as the smart phone battery hangs in there, but if I forget to recharge…I could be circling 86 th street for quite a while! Life can feel like that sometimes.  There are distractions, obligations, self-imposed expectations, and competing priorities that can take focus away from the joy of a life lived in God .  Could that be why Lent is one of my favorite times of the church season?  Yes, I love the pageantry of Easter and the Christmas music, but there is something soothing and comforting about Lent that reorients me.   http://maiaduerr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/creditcard-trek.jpg Often people give something up for Lent as a sign of self-denial.  One year I had to have jaw surgery and gave up talking for Lent.  (Really!) I have friends that give up chocolate, shopping during the week, and even social media. How

Be a sheep

Here's to Christmas Pageants!  Years ago, okay decades ago, I lived in Crawfordsville, and they had an epic one.      You see, the church let the YOUTH GROUP tell the Christmas story.   We all know that can be a little risky.  It was not told in King James English, or even NRSV.   I didn’t get to see it;  I was in Sunday School. Still, I treasure two memories from that event; yes, they are memories of an event I did not see and yet became part of our family Advent Lore. It changed the way I wait. First memory, the kings arrived down the center aisle on bicycles, and second the shepherds’ big line was, “’Biding’s a bore.”  Any time I have to wait, I repeat that line.  The shepherds are SO RIGHT!  “And in the same country there were shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night” (Luke 2:8 KJV). They were waiting.  Shortly after that, Christmas Pageants disappeared from the churches I attended.   I don’t know if the contemporary interpretation was

God's Hope Floats

  Friends, it is a little TOO easy to relate to the familiar Noah’s Ark story of Genesis.   However, teaching it to a multi-aged class this Sunday taught me something new.   Noah put his reminder on the ground where he would be able to touch it and to remember that even a seemingly forever-flood comes to an end.    Faithfulness means remembering that God is with us.   God put a reminder in the sky where we can remember to look up, to look around, and to remember that God’s love cannot be overcome by any kind of flood, fears, or sorrow.   It had not occurred to me, until today, that we need to build a reminder for ourselves, too. Like Noah, we know that these days will seem far away by next year.   However, we need to remember that isolation, fear, and tiredness do not last forever; God has set a promise in the sky.    So, I encourage our families to build a touchstone in your house or garden to remind us that God’s hope floats.   You might read the God’s Hope Floats story of Noah f