Skip to main content

Be a sheep


Here's to Christmas Pageants! 
Years ago, okay decades ago, I lived in Crawfordsville, and they had an epic one.   You see, the church let the YOUTH GROUP tell the Christmas story.  We all know that can be a little risky. It was not told in King James English, or even NRSV.  I didn’t get to see it;  I was in Sunday School. Still, I treasure two memories from that event; yes, they are memories of an event I did not see and yet became part of our family Advent Lore. It changed the way I wait. First memory, the kings arrived down the center aisle on bicycles, and second the shepherds’ big line was, “’Biding’s a bore.”  Any time I have to wait, I repeat that line.  The shepherds are SO RIGHT!  “And in the same country there were shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night” (Luke 2:8 KJV). They were waiting. 

Shortly after that, Christmas Pageants disappeared from the churches I attended.  I don’t know if the contemporary interpretation was a determining factor, probably not.  However, I was sad.  Christmas Pageants are an important part of Advent, of waiting.  It is the "past and now" part of the “not yet” of Christmas. 

In Advent, it is tempting to suspend the knowledge that Jesus was born, lived and died.  It is as if we go back to the beginning and try to pretend we don’t know the ending, but that is the wrong reason to do a pageant.  Advent should not be void of Jesus, or "pre-Jesus."  It should be all about Jesus and the incarnation: God made present,  the story made real, the memory at hand. What better way to think about the word made flesh than by embodying the story?  That is what a Christmas Pageant does. It puts us in the story.  It makes us the story.   With angel wings and sheep ears, we embody and enter into the story that is about then, now, and the time yet to come.


If we wait IN the story, then biding isn't a bore. We make the story, and its message, real.  God is here, and we are part of the story. It is our story. So this year, while you are waiting, sign up to be part of the Christmas Pageant.  Tell the story, be the story, and share the story.  This year, while you wait, be a sheep...    



Peace, 


sign up for the Second Presbyterian Church Pageant: http://members.secondchurch.org/default.aspx?page=3061&occurrenceId=52933

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's Hope Floats

  Friends, it is a little TOO easy to relate to the familiar Noah’s Ark story of Genesis.   However, teaching it to a multi-aged class this Sunday taught me something new.   Noah put his reminder on the ground where he would be able to touch it and to remember that even a seemingly forever-flood comes to an end.    Faithfulness means remembering that God is with us.   God put a reminder in the sky where we can remember to look up, to look around, and to remember that God’s love cannot be overcome by any kind of flood, fears, or sorrow.   It had not occurred to me, until today, that we need to build a reminder for ourselves, too. Like Noah, we know that these days will seem far away by next year.   However, we need to remember that isolation, fear, and tiredness do not last forever; God has set a promise in the sky.    So, I encourage our families to build a touchstone in your house or garden to remind us that God’s hope floats.   You might read the God’s Hope Floats story of Noah f

Directional-ly Impaired

Holy Promise People, Lent 2017, Second Presbyterian Church  My family and friends know that I am a little bit directional-ly impaired.  I’m  fine as long as the smart phone battery hangs in there, but if I forget to recharge…I could be circling 86 th street for quite a while! Life can feel like that sometimes.  There are distractions, obligations, self-imposed expectations, and competing priorities that can take focus away from the joy of a life lived in God .  Could that be why Lent is one of my favorite times of the church season?  Yes, I love the pageantry of Easter and the Christmas music, but there is something soothing and comforting about Lent that reorients me.   http://maiaduerr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/creditcard-trek.jpg Often people give something up for Lent as a sign of self-denial.  One year I had to have jaw surgery and gave up talking for Lent.  (Really!) I have friends that give up chocolate, shopping during the week, and even social media. How