Skip to main content

Shalom, World



It doesn't matter if it is in a restaurant, at work, at home, or just about anywhere.  If you ask me, "Do you need anything?" I am probably going to respond, "World Peace." I figure the ONE time I don't ask will be the ONE time we could get it. Well, we could all use a little more peace these days.

This past Spring, I was in a meeting and gave my usual respond, "World Peace." The person asking was taken aback and asked, "What do you mean by, 'World Peace'?" I have thought about this alot. Thanks to Eden Theological Seminary and Joretta Marshall in particular, I was prepared with an answer. My quick answer, "Peace is persistent relatedness in the face of a disconnect," raised more questions.  The easier answer would have been, "Shalom."

At the risk of hearing from every academic library class participant I ever taught, I will use the Wikipedia definition of "Shalom." There are many, but I would center on "wholeness." Shalom (Hebrewשָׁלוֹם shalom; also spelled as sholomsholemsholoimshulem) is a Hebrew word eaning peaceharmonywholenesscompletenessprosperitywelfare and tranquility and can be used idiomatically to mean both hello and goodbye.[1][2][3]   


Peace is realizing we are still connected even in disagreement, arguments, through pain and joy. It is information, reality, and gives a sense that there is not a fracture in the world, there is no "us" or "them." It turns "me" into "we." I was thinking about that with the Genesis 1st creation story.  I was thinking that maybe God's image is not in "me," but in "we." God's image is what makes us connected no matter what; so our world is "Shalom-able" because it is God's.  From there, I ended up with Margaret Wise Brown's wonderful "Goodnight Moon" being parodied as "Shalom, World." (That is just the way my mind works). I offer it for your consideration as a tool, not a Bible Study.  
Peace, Friends,
Kat.  


Shalom World

Before the dark of sky and dirt of earth

There was God who made it all –
There was land and sea below
…and above there were…


Stars in the sky and sun giving light to see.
And there were birds and such all around…

And doves were coo-ing
And Fish were jumping

And big animals LOOMING,
And small animals grooming,
And plants and trees and flowers were blooming!

And Adam and Eve (people)
To help and to share

And God, the Creator, who put it all there.


Shalom world.
Shalom sky.
Shalom earth under the sky.

Shalom stars and sun in the sky.
Shalom fish in the sea.

Shalom to BIG animals. 

Shalom to the small. 

Shalom Adam,
And Shalom Eve.

Shalom to you,
And shalom to me,

All made in God’s image to dance

And to play.

All of us together made in God’s image
Out of God’s breath blown into clay.

Shalom earth.
Shalom friends.

Shalom is God’s peace that never ends.

(by Kat Green based on Margaret Wise Brown’s Goodnight Moon.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's Hope Floats

  Friends, it is a little TOO easy to relate to the familiar Noah’s Ark story of Genesis.   However, teaching it to a multi-aged class this Sunday taught me something new.   Noah put his reminder on the ground where he would be able to touch it and to remember that even a seemingly forever-flood comes to an end.    Faithfulness means remembering that God is with us.   God put a reminder in the sky where we can remember to look up, to look around, and to remember that God’s love cannot be overcome by any kind of flood, fears, or sorrow.   It had not occurred to me, until today, that we need to build a reminder for ourselves, too. Like Noah, we know that these days will seem far away by next year.   However, we need to remember that isolation, fear, and tiredness do not last forever; God has set a promise in the sky.    So, I encourage our families to build a touchstone in your house or garden to remind us that God’s hope floats.   You might read the God’s Hope Floats story of Noah f

Be a sheep

Here's to Christmas Pageants!  Years ago, okay decades ago, I lived in Crawfordsville, and they had an epic one.      You see, the church let the YOUTH GROUP tell the Christmas story.   We all know that can be a little risky.  It was not told in King James English, or even NRSV.   I didn’t get to see it;  I was in Sunday School. Still, I treasure two memories from that event; yes, they are memories of an event I did not see and yet became part of our family Advent Lore. It changed the way I wait. First memory, the kings arrived down the center aisle on bicycles, and second the shepherds’ big line was, “’Biding’s a bore.”  Any time I have to wait, I repeat that line.  The shepherds are SO RIGHT!  “And in the same country there were shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night” (Luke 2:8 KJV). They were waiting.  Shortly after that, Christmas Pageants disappeared from the churches I attended.   I don’t know if the contemporary interpretation was

Directional-ly Impaired

Holy Promise People, Lent 2017, Second Presbyterian Church  My family and friends know that I am a little bit directional-ly impaired.  I’m  fine as long as the smart phone battery hangs in there, but if I forget to recharge…I could be circling 86 th street for quite a while! Life can feel like that sometimes.  There are distractions, obligations, self-imposed expectations, and competing priorities that can take focus away from the joy of a life lived in God .  Could that be why Lent is one of my favorite times of the church season?  Yes, I love the pageantry of Easter and the Christmas music, but there is something soothing and comforting about Lent that reorients me.   http://maiaduerr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/creditcard-trek.jpg Often people give something up for Lent as a sign of self-denial.  One year I had to have jaw surgery and gave up talking for Lent.  (Really!) I have friends that give up chocolate, shopping during the week, and even social media. How