Skip to main content

Sunday School ABCs


Almost two years ago, Second Church asked me, “What’s next for Sunday School?” I've been considering it ever since. Then yesterday, in the middle of Presbytery Meeting, I was transported to the mountains of North Carolina.  Actually, I was transported to a specific instance in the mountains of North Carolina.  

Christian Educators, recreation leaders, pastors, and prophets  gathered at the Arts, Recreation and Worship Conference at Montreat Camp and Conference Center, May 2016.  We  played, pondered and prayed over how the future of the church will reflect the past and then move beyond it.  Every participant wrote down an aspect of church life that needed re-imagining. The words were written onto strands of material; then we put these silk wish-bands into a hat. Later in the worship service, every participant was given or drew out one. We were charged to envision “what’s next” for the concern we received.  I got “Sunday School;” the cloth strip hangs in my office for daily reminder/conviction/reflection.

This Montreat Moment came back to me during a justice themed Presbytery Meeting blessed by the presence the Rev. T. Denise Anderson, Co-Moderator of PCUSA. She was prophetically calling for systemic change in how the church teaches, leads and embodies justice. A bell when off in my head.  It is my strong conviction that systemic change works best from the foundation up.  This is also Biblical, I believe, as Jesus Christ is the cornerstone. I have been wondering for at least two years how we shall re-orient children’s education and formation to be the “Sunday School” of the future? Specifically, I wonder how can we contextualize initiatives grounded in Matthew 18:2? So, I asked. (Of course you did, says everyone who knows me.) In the midst of a 6 hour meeting about programs adults are doing for justice, “what about the children?”

Rev. Anderson’s response was wonderful, empowering, and permission-giving to my ears! She said that we must re-imagine Sunday School to empower the children and put them in the midst of the justice work for they are “amazingly gifted visionaries.” The decorum of the moment kept me from doing my happy dance, but my heart lit up! For I found myself, the church, and Sunday School at the A, B, Cs of  Beuchner’s proverbial crossroads of vocation. “The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet” (Frederick Beuchner, Wishful Thinking: A Theological A B C).  Perhaps not so surprising, my "Beuchner Confirmation Vocation Reflection Cross" hangs next to "Sunday School" on my bulletin board. 

So, two years into my work at Second Church, here’s our response (so far) to “What’s next for Sunday School?”
Workshop Rotation at Second Church has “Mission Workshop” as one of the core workshops.
Spirituality Center model is becoming a corporate “let us create” model to imagine how faith can be foundational for life lived in the world: The Maker’s Space. 
Sunday School is becoming a spiritual “time in” rather than a worldy “time out.”
Children plan the projects for their 45D Mission Club.

Rather than a virtual reality, I believe Sunday School is the “visionary reality.”  Children are not separate from the work of the church; they are included and set into the center. They can lead and they serve. You see, a Sunday School with programming which is integrated into the life of the church can be a greenhouse for the “ties that bind our hearts in Christian love.”  That is our vocation, in Sunday School and in life. It is how we are ALL called to be in the world. It,too, was hanging on the bulletin board.  Nouwen, Sunday School, and peace were all clustered together.  “In a world so torn apart by rivalry, anger, and hatred,” Henri Nouwen reminds us, “we have the privileged vocation to be living signs of a love that can bridge all divisions and heal all wounds” (http://henrinouwen.org/).

I’m not sure when or how to turn in my ARW assignment.  I guess I will have to take it to North Carolina next May, but I will be taking the whole of White Water Presbytery with me, and Rev. Anderson.  Trust me, you’re gonna love it!

Blest be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love;
The fellowship of kindred minds is like to that above. (John Fawcett)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directional-ly Impaired

Holy Promise People, Lent 2017, Second Presbyterian Church  My family and friends know that I am a little bit directional-ly impaired.  I’m  fine as long as the smart phone battery hangs in there, but if I forget to recharge…I could be circling 86 th street for quite a while! Life can feel like that sometimes.  There are distractions, obligations, self-imposed expectations, and competing priorities that can take focus away from the joy of a life lived in God .  Could that be why Lent is one of my favorite times of the church season?  Yes, I love the pageantry of Easter and the Christmas music, but there is something soothing and comforting about Lent that reorients me.   http://maiaduerr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/creditcard-trek.jpg Often people give something up for Lent as a sign of self-denial.  One year I had to have jaw surgery and gave up talking for Lent.  (Really!) I have friends that give up chocolate, shopping during the week, and even social media. How

Kingdom Come, in the Kingdom of Make Believe?

Parental confession:   my children did not grow up on Mr. Rogers.   They just didn’t fall into that group. They were more Barney and Sesame Street.   This bothered me for a VERY long time.   It bothered me like, how “we ought to be going to church, but we aren’t” bothers some other parents. Is watching Mr. Rogers the same as going to church?   No.   Words matter and Fred Rogers was carefully and fully inclusive; he never spoke of “God” or “sacraments,” but his neighborhood was a study in formation, children’s radical formation where all are welcome, feelings are named, and children are respected. I think it is Kingdom work to facilitate those same things being found at church.   No, not just at Sunday School – which is usually story telling focused and appropriation tasked.   I mean, at church: At coffee hour where there are tables for their size among the adult-sized tables.   At worship where there are “movement breaks” and welcoming words “just their size.” At fellow

God's Hope Floats

  Friends, it is a little TOO easy to relate to the familiar Noah’s Ark story of Genesis.   However, teaching it to a multi-aged class this Sunday taught me something new.   Noah put his reminder on the ground where he would be able to touch it and to remember that even a seemingly forever-flood comes to an end.    Faithfulness means remembering that God is with us.   God put a reminder in the sky where we can remember to look up, to look around, and to remember that God’s love cannot be overcome by any kind of flood, fears, or sorrow.   It had not occurred to me, until today, that we need to build a reminder for ourselves, too. Like Noah, we know that these days will seem far away by next year.   However, we need to remember that isolation, fear, and tiredness do not last forever; God has set a promise in the sky.    So, I encourage our families to build a touchstone in your house or garden to remind us that God’s hope floats.   You might read the God’s Hope Floats story of Noah f