Skip to main content

For Smalls, Talls, and All


Devotion for Smalls, Talls, and All on Psalm 46 (verses 1, 7, 9-11)

There was a lot of violence in the news this past weekend-- from the accidental to unthinkable. I really avoided thinking about it all day. Then, my work was finished. I didn't have any other tasks to occupy my mind. Just as I was settling into a "think," I ran across this devotion from this summer. I wonder if it might help others to think about hard things. I offer it to you for you and your children.

1 God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.

The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.
He makes wars cease
    to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the shields[
d] with fire.
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”
11 The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress


Devotion for FIGs*
This Psalm is ALSO a song written for the music leader.  This is a person who helped people sing and play music to worship God and to learn about God.  It was written by David before he became the great King of Israel.

David was a shepherd.  He was out in the field with the sheep A LOT!  When storms came up, they didn’t get into their car and drive home.  David would look for a place where he and the sheep could be safe and dry.  He calls it a “refuge” and “fortress.” 

·         I wonder how you feel when storms come up?
·         I wonder where do you feel safe?

David was ALSO a fighter.  I am not talking about the arguments he had with his brothers.  Yes, he had them, just like some of us do.  (Or we might argue with our sisters.)David fought Goliath, a giant.  David also helped make King Saul feel better.  Both King Saul and David would have to fight to protect their people.  In this song, David is seeing a time when God’s people would not have to fight.  EVERYONE would know that God is the person in charge…so why fight?

·         I wonder why do people fight?  
·         I wonder why do people stop fighting?  

This Psalm says to “be still and know that I am God.” That seems like the best way to stop fighting.  If we are just still and don’t move, we can’t fight can we?  

·         I wonder how we look when we fight?  Make a fighting face and pretend you are going to fight…now freeze.  Hold that 15 seconds or until someone moves.  Maybe Mom or Dad can take a picture of it.   

·         I wonder how it would feel different if we were to “be still.” Now, sit or stand, and be very very still. Don’t move or talk.  Hold that for 15 seconds or until someone moves.  Maybe Mom or Dad can take a picture of it. 

·         I wonder which was easier to do?  
Was it easier to hold the “fight” pose or the “be still” pose?  


If we remember that God is our fortress and our strength then it is easier to be still.  It is more fun to play with our friends.  We can be still longer than we can be fighters.  If God is our safe place we don’t need weapons. 

If we remember that God is the one in charge, then wars will stop  and the world will “exalt” which is to celebrate joyfully. “Thank you for being with us, God.  Thank you for being strong for us and for being our safe place to just be.” Amen.

Your friend, 

K
at. 

*FIG is a summer program: Families In the Garden
This devotion was originally published June 2017, Children and Families Garden Devotion, Indianapolis IN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directional-ly Impaired

Holy Promise People, Lent 2017, Second Presbyterian Church  My family and friends know that I am a little bit directional-ly impaired.  I’m  fine as long as the smart phone battery hangs in there, but if I forget to recharge…I could be circling 86 th street for quite a while! Life can feel like that sometimes.  There are distractions, obligations, self-imposed expectations, and competing priorities that can take focus away from the joy of a life lived in God .  Could that be why Lent is one of my favorite times of the church season?  Yes, I love the pageantry of Easter and the Christmas music, but there is something soothing and comforting about Lent that reorients me.   http://maiaduerr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/creditcard-trek.jpg Often people give something up for Lent as a sign of self-denial.  One year I had to have jaw surgery and gave up talking for Lent.  (Really!) I have friends that give up chocolate, shopping during the week, and even social media. How

God's Hope Floats

  Friends, it is a little TOO easy to relate to the familiar Noah’s Ark story of Genesis.   However, teaching it to a multi-aged class this Sunday taught me something new.   Noah put his reminder on the ground where he would be able to touch it and to remember that even a seemingly forever-flood comes to an end.    Faithfulness means remembering that God is with us.   God put a reminder in the sky where we can remember to look up, to look around, and to remember that God’s love cannot be overcome by any kind of flood, fears, or sorrow.   It had not occurred to me, until today, that we need to build a reminder for ourselves, too. Like Noah, we know that these days will seem far away by next year.   However, we need to remember that isolation, fear, and tiredness do not last forever; God has set a promise in the sky.    So, I encourage our families to build a touchstone in your house or garden to remind us that God’s hope floats.   You might read the God’s Hope Floats story of Noah f

Kingdom Come, in the Kingdom of Make Believe?

Parental confession:   my children did not grow up on Mr. Rogers.   They just didn’t fall into that group. They were more Barney and Sesame Street.   This bothered me for a VERY long time.   It bothered me like, how “we ought to be going to church, but we aren’t” bothers some other parents. Is watching Mr. Rogers the same as going to church?   No.   Words matter and Fred Rogers was carefully and fully inclusive; he never spoke of “God” or “sacraments,” but his neighborhood was a study in formation, children’s radical formation where all are welcome, feelings are named, and children are respected. I think it is Kingdom work to facilitate those same things being found at church.   No, not just at Sunday School – which is usually story telling focused and appropriation tasked.   I mean, at church: At coffee hour where there are tables for their size among the adult-sized tables.   At worship where there are “movement breaks” and welcoming words “just their size.” At fellow