Skip to main content

This summer be a FIG and DIG

Be a FIG and DIG
This is one of those days when you think you are doing one thing, and you end up doing another.  I thought I was going to be writing about “BALANCE,” you know—“to everything there is a season.”  Instead, I have spent the morning doing some study about fig trees in the Bible.  Yes,  I said “fig trees,” those things that cover Adam and Eve’s nakedness and signs of  the Hebrew People’s abundance and plenty during King Solomon’s time (Genesis 3:7 and 1 Kings 4:25). 

The stories most often retold about “figs” in the Bible are the account of Jesus cursing the tree that does not bear fruit, and the parable of the gardener bartering one more year during which he will work diligently to make a fig tree produce fruit.  I looked at 44 instances of “figs” which are medicine, food, abundance, sweet, shade giving and a long lived symbol of peace,  and  I found the parable of summer.  How did I miss this figgy morsel?  It appears in Matthew, Mark and Luke. It was right in front of me, and I didn’t see it!

29 Jesus told them this parable: “Look at the fig tree and all the trees. 30 When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near. 31 Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near. (Luke 21:29-30 NIV)

This parable gives us a marvelous moment to remember that summer will follow winter.  Summer was always coming, but we need to “see for (our)selves.” The wonders of the world can remind us that the “Kingdom of God is near” even though it was always there.  Just like that, I realize that I am writing about BALANCE.  Balance is not staying at perfect center, but it is adjusting and re-grounding ourselves when the stone, ripple, or gust of wind causes us to lean. 

This summer you have an opportunity to reach for balance with your family.  These Wednesday summer nights be a FIG and gather your Family In the Garden.  Volunteers will be available to help your family work together to provide fruits and vegetables for the Northside Ministries Food Pantry.   After work or school on Wednesdays, gather in the Community Garden of Second Presbyterian Church, from 4:00 pm until dark.  Rest in the comfortable seating and know that “you’ve got mail.”  The mail box holds a short story and family devotion.  There is also a list of tasks for smalls to talls.  Here’s a fun fact:  it is a wasp that makes the fig tree bear fruit; it is a teeny tiny wasp.  For that reason, you KNOW everyone is welcome in the Garden!

Your family will have a chance to DIG:

Devotion time
I Wonder Questions
Good works
 In case of rain, the Food Pantry will welcome your family to restock shelves and help clients shop for necessities.  


This summer be a Wednesday FIG and DIG in the Second Presbyterian Church Community Garden. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directional-ly Impaired

Holy Promise People, Lent 2017, Second Presbyterian Church  My family and friends know that I am a little bit directional-ly impaired.  I’m  fine as long as the smart phone battery hangs in there, but if I forget to recharge…I could be circling 86 th street for quite a while! Life can feel like that sometimes.  There are distractions, obligations, self-imposed expectations, and competing priorities that can take focus away from the joy of a life lived in God .  Could that be why Lent is one of my favorite times of the church season?  Yes, I love the pageantry of Easter and the Christmas music, but there is something soothing and comforting about Lent that reorients me.   http://maiaduerr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/creditcard-trek.jpg Often people give something up for Lent as a sign of self-denial.  One year I had to have jaw surgery and gave up talking for Lent.  (Really!) I have friends that give up chocolate, shopping during the week, and even social media. How

God's Hope Floats

  Friends, it is a little TOO easy to relate to the familiar Noah’s Ark story of Genesis.   However, teaching it to a multi-aged class this Sunday taught me something new.   Noah put his reminder on the ground where he would be able to touch it and to remember that even a seemingly forever-flood comes to an end.    Faithfulness means remembering that God is with us.   God put a reminder in the sky where we can remember to look up, to look around, and to remember that God’s love cannot be overcome by any kind of flood, fears, or sorrow.   It had not occurred to me, until today, that we need to build a reminder for ourselves, too. Like Noah, we know that these days will seem far away by next year.   However, we need to remember that isolation, fear, and tiredness do not last forever; God has set a promise in the sky.    So, I encourage our families to build a touchstone in your house or garden to remind us that God’s hope floats.   You might read the God’s Hope Floats story of Noah f

Kingdom Come, in the Kingdom of Make Believe?

Parental confession:   my children did not grow up on Mr. Rogers.   They just didn’t fall into that group. They were more Barney and Sesame Street.   This bothered me for a VERY long time.   It bothered me like, how “we ought to be going to church, but we aren’t” bothers some other parents. Is watching Mr. Rogers the same as going to church?   No.   Words matter and Fred Rogers was carefully and fully inclusive; he never spoke of “God” or “sacraments,” but his neighborhood was a study in formation, children’s radical formation where all are welcome, feelings are named, and children are respected. I think it is Kingdom work to facilitate those same things being found at church.   No, not just at Sunday School – which is usually story telling focused and appropriation tasked.   I mean, at church: At coffee hour where there are tables for their size among the adult-sized tables.   At worship where there are “movement breaks” and welcoming words “just their size.” At fellow