Skip to main content

Promises

I was a Girl Scout in my early years, and yes a Brownie before that; there weren’t Daisy Scouts back then. Each meeting started with the Girl Scout Promise, “On my honor, I will try…”  That was probably my first introduction to promises and promising.  There were many to follow.  From family commitments to childhood secrets we learn how to hold promises and make them part of ourselves. Later, the college I attended had an honor code requiring us to “pledge” every test and paper saying that “on my honor, I have neither given nor received any unauthorized assistance on this test/paper.” This pledge, or promise, was bound by a promise to live and to learn in a particular way according to a particular set of guidelines for the community. 


Font, Word, and Table
Font, Word, and Table
Second Presbyterian Church
Indianapolis, IN 
Our lives as Christians begin with hope and a promise.  Our parents hope for us, and pray for us. More than likely, our church family does, too! Sometimes those hopes are delayed or tempered, but we hope persistently.  Then promises are made at our baptism.  If we are very young, our parents and our church family make promises on our behalf, while standing in the fountain of God’s Holy Promise, that we are a Beloved Child of God.   If we are older, we make these promises for ourselves, but there are still church family promises to teach us, to visit us, and to take care of us.  There are promises to care for us, to pray for us, to hope with us, and to walk with us in the Holy Promise of being God’s family.

Wells at home in Second Presbyterian Church, a children's stewardship projectAs we grow, we make promises on our own about what we can contribute to a project at school or the small jobs around our home.  Ok, sometimes those are assigned, but we promise we will do them! Those projects and jobs change as we grow and learn new things.  Our children are talking about promises in Sunday School.  It is a wonderful time of learning what they have, what they can do, and how they can be part of the promises to teach, to visit, to take care, to pray, to hope and to walk.  Our children are making promise cards because we are a people of promise and they have gifts and talents and time and resources to contribute.  We need them as an active part of God’s family!  Here at Second, children  work in the garden to provide food for the hungry.  Children encourage their families to help sort clothes for the naked.  Children and their families work with their church- family- of- promise to visit with the homeless.  The children live into the promise that has been celebrated at their birth, at their baptism, and in the daily/weekly/monthly/yearly living as part of the Holy Promise of being God’s family here at Second Presbyterian Church, our Second Home. 
children creating art project in Sunday School

All of that will not fit on a card handed out in Sunday School, but every moment-minute-hour-word is made holy by doing it in the name of the one who claims us at our baptism; I promise. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directional-ly Impaired

Holy Promise People, Lent 2017, Second Presbyterian Church  My family and friends know that I am a little bit directional-ly impaired.  I’m  fine as long as the smart phone battery hangs in there, but if I forget to recharge…I could be circling 86 th street for quite a while! Life can feel like that sometimes.  There are distractions, obligations, self-imposed expectations, and competing priorities that can take focus away from the joy of a life lived in God .  Could that be why Lent is one of my favorite times of the church season?  Yes, I love the pageantry of Easter and the Christmas music, but there is something soothing and comforting about Lent that reorients me.   http://maiaduerr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/creditcard-trek.jpg Often people give something up for Lent as a sign of self-denial.  One year I had to have jaw surgery and gave up talking for Lent.  (Really!) I have friends that give up chocolate, shopping during the week, and even social media. How

God's Hope Floats

  Friends, it is a little TOO easy to relate to the familiar Noah’s Ark story of Genesis.   However, teaching it to a multi-aged class this Sunday taught me something new.   Noah put his reminder on the ground where he would be able to touch it and to remember that even a seemingly forever-flood comes to an end.    Faithfulness means remembering that God is with us.   God put a reminder in the sky where we can remember to look up, to look around, and to remember that God’s love cannot be overcome by any kind of flood, fears, or sorrow.   It had not occurred to me, until today, that we need to build a reminder for ourselves, too. Like Noah, we know that these days will seem far away by next year.   However, we need to remember that isolation, fear, and tiredness do not last forever; God has set a promise in the sky.    So, I encourage our families to build a touchstone in your house or garden to remind us that God’s hope floats.   You might read the God’s Hope Floats story of Noah f

Be a sheep

Here's to Christmas Pageants!  Years ago, okay decades ago, I lived in Crawfordsville, and they had an epic one.      You see, the church let the YOUTH GROUP tell the Christmas story.   We all know that can be a little risky.  It was not told in King James English, or even NRSV.   I didn’t get to see it;  I was in Sunday School. Still, I treasure two memories from that event; yes, they are memories of an event I did not see and yet became part of our family Advent Lore. It changed the way I wait. First memory, the kings arrived down the center aisle on bicycles, and second the shepherds’ big line was, “’Biding’s a bore.”  Any time I have to wait, I repeat that line.  The shepherds are SO RIGHT!  “And in the same country there were shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night” (Luke 2:8 KJV). They were waiting.  Shortly after that, Christmas Pageants disappeared from the churches I attended.   I don’t know if the contemporary interpretation was